Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 21: July 25, 2012

Last day on the island!! We woke up bright and early, but it wasn't very bright... It was super rainy out. We could hear it on our tents as soon as our alarms went off. My Helly Hansen coat was right at the top of my pack!! Put it on and warmed right up, and started getting ready for the day. We had to wrap up wet tents, which isn't too fun, but we stayed nice and dry!

Nice day for travel? I think so!

Packing up, with help from Helly Hansen!!



Nice and dry!!

Got on the boat at 8 am, and then the boat left for Rock Harbor to pick up more people at 9 am. Then we went back out of Rock Harbor and headed for the mainland! The waves were really crazy on the way back. Sarah, Angela, and I all fell asleep. I think I avoided a majority of the seasickness because of my crazy nap.
We didn't miss the boat!!
Take a look at those waves...
Toward the end of the 6 hour boat ride, we got to hear a concert on the upper deck! Two of the NPS people working on the boat played music for us- guitar and fiddle! We heard the song "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" and lots of fiddle tunes as well!!

Finally got off of the rolling waves, and back to Houghton! We started driving pretty much right away- after buying a cooler and ice to keep our samples cold until we got back to Lansing!

Drove to an ice cream shop and had a sweet treat- I got amaretto mackinaw fudge ice cream, and it was SO delicious. I don't know if I've ever had ice cream that delicious.

Yet another beautiful sunset up north!
After eating dinner at a fast food restaurant (which shocked all of our stomachs, after we'd been eating non-greasy food for so long), we kept driving until we got back to East Lansing! There were some crazy storms following us almost the entire time, so we got to see some very cool lightning! Got back around 2 am. Can't believe we're back! But there's still lots of work to do yet!

Mackinac Bridge in the dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment