Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Day 17: July 21, 2012

By the time that Sarah, Charlotte, and I woke up, Angela was already hard at work pressing plants, preserving genetic samples, and checking on old plants. It's a very time consuming process, but she does a great job! I'll have to visit the herbarium once all of her samples make it there, to reminisce.

Here's a bunch of Angela's plants being pressed in one of the offices!
I sorted out things that we'll be leaving on Mott Island to lighten the load for our next trip, and I repacked my bags for our next trip. I'm so glad that our backpacks are durable, and the compartments are all really useful. For instance, I've been putting my wetsuit into a bag and sticking it in the very bottom compartment, which is separated from the rest of the bag by a divider. That way, my other things don't get soaking wet, and my wetsuit doesn't have to be carried on the outside of my pack!

This is one of the other ways to carry the backpacks! I should probably do this regularly, and keep food in the small pack in front, considering how often I snack while we're on the trail. :)
Then I joined Sarah and Charlotte as they were finishing up sanitization. Didn't have to sanitize between our two McArgo Cove lakes, because they were connected. They've really got the sanitization procedures down to a science!

We had taco night for dinner, which was fantastic. Some squirrels got into our tortillas though, and nibbled off bits of both sides of them. We ripped off the nibbled bits, and the tortillas were still good. :)

We also taped up our new bottles so that they'll be dark, froze our samples, and poured silica gel to get ready for our final round of sampling for this trip. And we got to do laundry, which was great!! Nothing like a fresh pair of pajamas when you're camping. Right before bed, we made s'mores over the campfire by our tents! They were delicious.

Nobody puts baby in the corner. Except for Charlotte.

No comments:

Post a Comment