Monday, September 17, 2012

Day 3: August 14, 2012

Woke up at 6 am to the delightful sound of rain. I scooted some of my things away from the sides of the tent and dozed off again, but pretty soon it became obvious that raindrops were hitting my metal mess kit somehow. So I sat up to deal with that... and realized it was raining in the tent.

Apparently our rain fly was not waterproof.

Angela put a tarp over us, so it mostly stopped raining inside, which was lovely! My sleeping bag was pretty wet on the outside, but I hadn't even noticed the rain until I got out of it- it was still warm and dry on the inside! I'm also thankful that I draped my Helly Hansen coat over my things last night, just as a precaution in case condensation collected on the walls of the tent.

Score: Helly Hansen-1, Rain-0
Angela had to totally move her tent, because water was pooling underneath it. Once it had stopped raining, we ate breakfast. I sat at the table in my rain pants and stayed nice and dry! I can already tell that this trip will be more comfortable with those.
Here's Rachel modeling the rain pants!
We moved our things to a shelter that had opened up, and hiked to Livermore! It was a really long hike. I started out going first with my rain pants on, to knock dew off of the plants! That kept the non-rain pants of the others totally dry! :D

We're the members of the Eagle Creek Club! :)
Stopped at the Richie portage for lunch. We ended up getting to the lake at 3:30ish, too late to start sampling really. We left our gear there and had a better hike back- much less to carry! We don't have to sanitize between our next two lakes, Chickenbone and Livermore, like we thought we would have to, because we confirmed with the Park Service that there's a wetland that runs between them!
 We got back to Moskey and put our feet in the cold water of the channel for a bit. Had tuna mac for dinner, and packed our Eagle Creek backpacks up for our first official day of sampling tomorrow!

Before bed, we also had a Lafuma photoshoot. :) I was so tired that I almost fell asleep out on the rock, even though it was still so light out.
Goodnight, everyone!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment